Front Page Detectives

Road Rage Incident Involving Driver, Motorcyclists on Connecticut Highway Leads to Gunfire, Roadside Fight, Officials Say

road rage connecticut highway gunfire  men arrested
Source: Connecticut State Police

Tavon Douglas; John Whitley

Jun. 18 2023, Published 9:59 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

A road rage incident between a driver and motorcyclists ended with gunfire and a physical fight on the side of a Connecticut highway, according to authorities.

On June 13, troopers responded to a report regarding an active assault on Route 15 in Greenwich, according to the Connecticut State Police.

Article continues below advertisement

Officials said they arrested 30-year-old Tavon Marquisgrant Douglas, 35-year-old John Louis Whitley and 43-year-old Marvin Harris in connection with the incident.

Harris was identified as the 911 caller. He claimed he was attacked by a group of motorcyclists and that a firearm was shown, authorities said.

Once at the scene, troopers learned that Harris, Douglas, Whitley and a fourth man were all involved in a road rage incident. Harris allegedly brake checked the motorcyclists and didn’t let them pass.

Article continues below advertisement

State police said the incident escalated quickly, as Douglas displayed a firearm and discharged “one round into the rear of Harris’s vehicle.” After the shots allegedly were fired, police said “all parties pulled into the right shoulder and engaged in a violent physical altercation.”

Whitley and the unknown man fled the scene on motorcycles before troopers arrived, officials said. A “be on the lookout” bulletin was issued and Whitley was found by state police further up the highway.


When talking with police, Whitley said he “shoved and struck Harris, then mounted Douglas’s motorcycle and fled from the scene,” according to authorities. Whitley was arrested during the traffic stop.

Douglas and Harris were brought to local hospitals for minor injuries. State police said they found a gun registered to Douglas at the scene.

Article continues below advertisement

Never miss a story — sign up for the Front Page Detectives newsletter. Be on the scene the moment news breaks.

After being released from the hospital, Douglas was arrested and charged with reckless driving, negligent pedestrian, illegal discharge of a firearm, second-degree breach of peace, first-degree assault, second-degree assault with a firearm, second-degree threatening and first-degree reckless endangerment. His bond was set at $150,000, authorities said.

Whitley was charged with operating an unregistered motor vehicle, theft of plates, failure to insure a private motor vehicle, second-degree breach of peace and third-degree assault. Authorities said his bond was set at $2,500.

Harris was charged with reckless driving and second-degree breach of peace, police said. His bond was set at $1,000.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.