A man gunned down a victim who was walking to breakfast with his girlfriend. It took a jury just 15 minutes to find him guilty.
Last month, a California jury convicted Anthony Joseph Santos IV, 24, of first-degree murder. He was convicted of killing Andrew May in May, according to the Merced County District Attorney’s Office.
It took the panel just minutes to seal Santos’ fate, prosecutors said.
Sentencing is set for mid-November, and Santos faces 50 years to life in prison, prosecutors said.
On May 27, 2022, Santos was driving his vehicle around 7:30 a.m. when he found May walking to McDonald’s with his girlfriend, according to prosecutors.
Santos got out of his vehicle and shouted, “do you bang?” and then shot May seven times at close range, prosecutors said. Santos used a Blackout .300 firearm in the shooting. He fled after the murder.
May was walking from an RV park in Santa Nella, California, to the fast-food joint when he was shot, police said soon after Santos was arrested. The woman was not injured in the shooting.
Police quickly identified the suspect as Santos, according to the West Side Index.
“He is someone we have had prior contact with and knew exactly who he was,” Merced County Sheriff’s spokesman Daryl Allen told the news outlet.
Officers went to Santos’ home to arrest him and used a SWAT team. Santos crawled out of a window and tried to escape by jumping over a fence, according to the report. But he landed right in front of SWAT members.
Police found a “ghost gun” that matched the gun used in the killing in Santos’ possessions, prosecutors said.
Even though Santos faces up to life in prison, California law will make him eligible for parole after 25 years.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.