Deadly Blades And Bullets: Connecticut Man Killed, Maimed Man With Samurai Sword, Shot Best Friend During Horrific 2-Day Attack

connecticut man sentenced murder kidnapping samurai sword
Source: Washington County Sheriff's Office; Unsplash

Apr. 21 2023, Published 5:29 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A Connecticut man will likely spend the rest of his life in prison for fatally shooting his best friend, killing a 62-year-old man with a samurai sword and several other crimes, according to authorities.

On April 20, a judge sentenced Peter Manfredonia to to 55 years for the murder of Theodore DeMers, 20 years for assault and 25 years for home invasion after he pleaded guilty to the charges against him in February, the Tolland County State’s Attorney announced. The judge said the terms will run concurrently.

Article continues below advertisement

On April 19, Manfredonia was also sentenced to 55 years for fatally shooting his friend Nicholas Eisele and kidnapping Eisele’s girlfriend, officials said.

The crime spree for Manfredonia began on May 22, 2020, according to authorities. Around 9 a.m. that day, officers responded to a call in Wilington regarding two adult males bleeding in the middle of the road, the Connecticut State Police stated.

Once at the scene, officers found DeMers and 80-year-old John Franco with cuts on their bodies. One of the victims lost a limb, officers said.

DeMers died on the way to the hospital and Franco underwent surgery and survived, authorities said. Investigators found a samurai sword with blood on it in the woods nearby where the men were found.

Article continues below advertisement

Around 6:45 a.m. on May 24, 2020, troopers found an abandoned white Ford F-150 truck and went to the home where the vehicle was registered. They found a 74-year-old man tied to a chair in his basement, officials said.

When talking to police, the man said he woke up the previous day to a man holding him at gunpoint. The suspect then zip-tied his hands and put duct tape over his eyes and mouth.


The suspect later identified himself as Manfredonia. The victim asked him why he killed DeMers and Manfredonia told him he “hadn’t slept for five days and that he just flipped,” according to authorities.

Manfredonia eventually fled the home and stole the victim’s car, police said.

Article continues below advertisement

Never miss a story — sign up for the Front Page Detectives newsletter. Be on the scene the moment news breaks.

Around 11 a.m. on May 24, 2020, troopers got a call that Manfredonia’s friend, 23-year-old Eisele, had been shot to death in his apartment, officials said.

Investigators determined Manfredonia kidnapped Eisele’s girlfriend, took her car and then drove them to New Jersey. He eventually got out of the car and got an Uber, but police caught up with him in Maryland.

Officials said both of Manfredonia’s 55-year sentences will run concurrently.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Empire Media Group, Inc. Front Page Detectives is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.