Man Exonerated For 2012 Fatal Shooting Back In Custody In Connection With Recent Murder
A Pennsylvania man exonerated last year in connection with a 2012 murder is back in custody after police identified him as the getaway driver in a deadly shooting last month, authorities announced.
According to prosecutors, detectives used security footage to identify Jahmir Harris, 32, as a suspect in the Sept. 5 fatal shooting of 50-year-old Charles Gossett in Philadelphia, WTXF-TV reported.
The video allegedly shows two gunmen exited a car Harris was driving around 2 a.m. and shot Gossett in the back of the head.
Harris turned himself in to police on Oct. 21.
He was previously found guilty of the December 2012 killing of Louis Porter, 45, outside a Walgreens. At the time, investigators claimed Harris’ 5-year-old son was in the back seat of the vehicle when over a dozen shots were fired at Porter.
Harris was exonerated nearly 10 years after the shooting following a reexamination of the case.
"Harris' constitutional rights had been violated at the time of his prosecution because information implicating another individual as the likely shooter had not been turned over to the defense council,” the district attorney’s office told WTXF-TV about why the court vacated the sentencing.
Porter’s family was outraged after the decision to exonerate Harris, and the victim’s sister called Gosset’s recent murder “horrifying.”
"I feel sick to my stomach all over again, and I don’t even know how that could even happen,” Linda Cruz said. “And the other family, I really feel devastated for them.”
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.