On Aug. 21, 2022, medical personnel were called to a residence in Oakland Park and they transported Josiah Fenelus to Broward Health Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.
In October 2022, autopsy results showed the infant, who had been in the care of his grandmother, 53-year-old Tibina Louissant, had a lethal amount of cyproheptadine in his system, authorities said.
According to prosecutors, two baby bottles with a prescription cough syrup containing cyproheptadine were found in the home.
Josiah was healthy when he was left for the weekend with his grandmother, but he suffered swelling on the brain as well as bleeding on his scalp by the time he was rushed to the hospital, WPLG reported.
Officials said cyproheptadine is not approved for use in children younger than 2-years-old, and an overdose of the powerful antihistamine can result in disorientation, hallucinations, coma and even death.
This summer, toxicology tests were completed and experts determined the two baby bottles tested positive for the antihistamine.
Josiah’s death was ruled a homicide by cyproheptadine toxicity, authorities said.
Never miss a story — sign up for the Front Page Detectives newsletter. Be on the scene the moment news breaks.
During the investigation, Louissant allegedly told detectives she was the only person responsible for making Josiah’s bottles when he was in her care, officials said.
She was booked into the Broward County Main Jail and released on bond the following day.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.