Around 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 24, officers were called to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital after a patient, 67-year-old Amanda Jenkins, arrived by EMS with burns covering a quarter of her lower extremities, according to the Albany Police Department. EMS said Jenkins was unresponsive.
Jenkins was rushed to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta for treatment and police launched an investigation into how she received the severe burns.
At the woman’s home, officers located her husband, 64-year-old Henry Hardwick.
According to police, Hardwick claimed he was rubbing alcohol on his wife’s body to help with pain she was suffering as a result of her multiple sclerosis.
Hardwick then allegedly said he lit a cigarette too close to her body, which caused Jenkins to catch on fire, according to police.
Hardwick told police he panicked and was too scared to call anyone for help, so he left his wife without treatment. Officials said the incident took place on Oct. 22.
Two days later, on Oct. 24, Jenkins’ daughter visited the couple's house and saw her mother was in need of treatment, which is when she was transported to the hospital by EMS.
Never miss a story — sign up for the Front Page Detectives newsletter. Be on the scene the moment news breaks.
Hardwick was arrested and booked into the Dougherty County Jail.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.