Front Page Detectives

Police Were Trying To Detain A Man With A Rifle In Georgia. When The Suspect Shot One In The Back Of The Head.

police murder
Source: South Fulton Police Department; Fulton County police

Sep. 5 2022, Published 8:54 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A Georgia man fatally shot a police officer in the back of the head during an ambush.

Now, he will never walk free again.

Article continues below advertisement

Recently, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Jane Barwick handed Amanuel Menghesha, 50, a life term in prison without the possibility of parole for the shooting death of Fulton County Det. Terrence Green.

Menghesha pleaded guilty to malice murder to avoid the death penalty. He was also convicted of 32 other counts, including criminal attempt to commit murder and aggravated assault against a peace officer.

Article continues below advertisement

“While we cannot bring back Detective Green, we hope this guilty plea and sentence brings relief and a sense of justice to his family, friends and colleagues,” said Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, according to WSB-TV.

On March 4, 2015, officers responded to a home in the Parks of Cedar Grove subdivision after reports of shots fired and domestic disturbance. Before their arrival, the defendant had left the scene and taken an AK-47 assault rifle with him while roaming the neighborhood.

police injured
Article continues below advertisement

Later, authorities sighted Menghesha in the dense fog along Chastain Way, where he ambushed the officers. Then, the defendant fired multiple shots at them and into people’s homes. While the officers, including Green, took cover, the 22-year Fulton County Police Department veteran was hit in the back of the head.

Officers returned fire, and Menghesha was shot multiple times before he was arrested.

Green was rushed to the Grady Memorial Hospital, where he was declared dead eleven days later.

Article continues below advertisement

"The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office prosecution of this case and the court’s sentence makes it clear that attacks on our law enforcement officers have no place in our state. Many of our officers worked with and cherished Detective Green during his time with us. Terence’s void will never be filled,” said South Fulton Police Chief Keith Meadows, reported FOX 5.

Barwick sentenced Menghesha to additional 375 years in prison on the other charges.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.