Front Page Detectives

Shooting at High School Football Game Left 10-Year-Old Boy Dead. Now, Shooter Sentenced to 70 Years.

10-Year-Old Boy Shot at High School Football Game, Shooter Sentenced
Source: Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office; Unsplash

Alvin Wyatt claimed he shot in self-defense at high school football game that killed 10-year-old boy.

Sep. 12 2023, Published 2:05 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A man in New Jersey fired several shots during a high school football playoff game, leaving a 10-year-old boy dead and now a judge sentenced the shooter to 70 years in prison, according to authorities.

On Nov. 15, 2019, Alvin Wyatt, 35, opened fire at Pleasantville High School, leaving one man and two children wounded, the Associated Press reported.

Article continues below advertisement

Wyatt was caught on the football field moments after the shooting took place by a Pleasantville police officer who was part of the game’s security detail, authorities said.

One of the children, Micah Tennant, had been watching the game with his mother and sister, when he sustained a gunshot wound to the neck. Tragically, Tennant passed away five days later, mere hours before the playoff game resumed at the Philadelphia Eagles stadium.

Police said Wyatt targeted the wounded man, who was also charged in the case.

At the trial, it came to light that the wounded man had previously fired shots at Wyatt approximately three weeks earlier. Wyatt testified that he had met up with some friends at the game and while walking through the stands, he unexpectedly crossed paths with the same individual.

Article continues below advertisement

Wyatt claimed the man had threatened to shoot him during this encounter, officials said.

Wyatt claimed that he spotted a firearm in the victim's waistband and fired his weapon in self-defense when he observed the victim making a move toward his own weapon.

Never miss a story — sign up for the Front Page Detectives newsletter. Be on the scene the moment news breaks.

Police confirmed the victim, who has been using a wheelchair since the incident, did indeed possess a weapon but did not discharge it. The victim later entered a guilty plea for attempted murder and a weapons-related offense.

In July, Wyatt was convicted on murder and related charges.

On Sept. 11, Wyatt was sentenced to 70 years in prison, authorities said.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.