Front Page Detectives

Cops Staged A Quadruple Murder Cover-up. 30 Years Later, They Head To Prison For Life.

Source: Unsplash

Sep. 12 2022, Published 2:35 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Two police officers involved in a quadruple homicide staged a cover-up three decades ago. Now, they will never walk free again.

Article continues below advertisement

Recently, Special Court of Central Bureau of Investigation Judge Rakesh Kumar Gupta handed a life term in prison to former sub-inspector Tarsem Lal and Inspector Kishan Singh for the murders of Balwinder Singh, Sahib Singh, Dalbir Singh and an unidentified individual.

Both men were found guilty and convicted of murder, destruction of evidence, and public servant framing incorrect record to save a person from punishment.

Article continues below advertisement

According to prosecutors, on Sept. 13, 1992, the police had arrested the four men and taken them to the police station in Mehta near Amritsar, reported The Indian Express. While in custody, Lal and Kishan Singh, under the authority of the then Mehta police station Rajinder Singh, took the four men to Dhar-Deo village under the guise of recovering some weapons. There, they fatally shot the men and claimed the men were killed in a crossfire by militants attempting to set them free.

police misconduct

However, Sahib Singh’s family suspected foul play and filed a complaint with the high court in Punjab. Five years after the fatal incident, the court handed the case over to the CBI, who filed for a First Information Report, which establishes the commission of a cognizable offense, signed by the informant and officially served to the head of the police station.

Article continues below advertisement

As a result, charges were brought against all three officers.

“After the incident, my family was completely shattered. My grandparents died waiting for justice, but now we are satisfied that the accused will die in jail. My grandfather became mentally unstable due to the cold-blooded murder of my uncle,” said Balwinder Singh’s nephew, Shamsher Singh, according to Hindustan Times.

During the course of the trial, former officer Rajinder Singh, who was the main accused suspect, died.

Gupta sentenced the duo to additional fines of 15,000 Rupees and 20,000 Rupees each for the other two charges.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.