Front Page Detectives

He Walked Off The Job So His Boss Fired Him. Days Later, He Returned To Get His Things...And Commit Murder.

Man Sentenced to Prison for Killing His Boss in Missouri
Source: St. Louis Prosecuting Attorney; MEGA

Christopher Owens was fired from his job and returned a few days later to pick up his things, which is when he fatally shot his boss.

May 7 2023, Published 11:20 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A man walked off his job at a children’s home, so his boss fired him. Days later, the ex-employee returned and opened fire on his old supervisor.

Now, the disgruntled employee turned killer will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Article continues below advertisement

Recently, a judge in Missouri sentenced Christopher Owens to life in prison for killing Brantley Tate. Owens pleaded guilty to a count of second-degree murder and armed criminal action, according to KMOV.

The judge ordered a 15-year term for the armed criminal action charge, which will be severed on top of the life sentence.

In January 2021, Owens walked off from his job at the Marygrove Child Center in Florissant, Missouri, according to KMOV. He was fired by Tate for the move.

Article continues below advertisement

Owens then returned a few days later and shot Tate as he retrieved his things, the report noted.

Tate was found in the parking lot with a gunshot wound, KMOV stated. Tate was taken to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Article continues below advertisement

During a sentencing hearing, members of Tate’s family spoke to the judge. They noted the grief they have felt since the murder, according to KSDK.

“Brant was the kindest and most generous man I have ever known, and he loved me so much,” Tate’s widow said, according to KSDK. “My heart mostly hurts that he died before he could teach our son everything a man is supposed to know.”

Article continues below advertisement

Tate left behind a son and two stepdaughters. One of the stepdaughters said she still reaches for the phone to call her dad and the nightmares about the murder remain.

The other stepdaughter called the murder “pointless,” according to KDSK.

“And I will be angry for the rest of my life,” she said, the TV station noted.

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Wesley Bell said he couldn’t imagine the pain the Tate family felt, according to KDSK. He added he hoped the sentence brought some justice.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 Empire Media Group, Inc. Front Page Detectives is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.