Botched burglary attempt turns deadly, New York man now accused of murder

botched burglary attempt turned deadly new york man charged with murder
Source: Ulster County Jail, Unsplash

May 18 2021, Published 10:31 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A botched robbery attempt in July 2020 turned deadly and a man was arrested earlier this year in connection to the murder. 

The suspect is now back being bars after being briefly released on a legal technicality. 

Article continues below advertisement

Romero K. Underwood was fatally shot around 5 a.m. inside his Kingston, New York, home in July 2020, police said.

He was treated at the scene before being taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to authorities.

Article continues below advertisement

Raymond Snyder, 38, was arrested on Jan. 20, 2021, and charged with second-degree murder and felony burglary for shooting Underwood during a botched burglary attempt at Underwood’s apartment, police said.

Article continues below advertisement

On Jan. 21, 2021, Snyder pleaded not guilty to the charges and was sent to Ulster County Jail and bail was denied, cops said. 


The Daily Freeman reported Snyder was linked to the scene of the crime from a single drop of blood that was found in a stairwell of Underwood’s apartment.

Snyder was brought into the Kingston police station for questioning and during that time, medical personnel were called in to treat a wound on Snyder’s hand, police said.

Article continues below advertisement

Detectives retrieved the bloodied bandage left behind by medical personnel and found that it matched blood collected from the apartment stairwell, authorities said.

Judge Bryan Rounds ordered Snyder be released from jail on May 3 because the District Attorney’s Office failed to obtain an indictment against him within the 45-day timeframe required by law, authorities said.

Article continues below advertisement

However, a grand jury indicted him on May 14 on charges of second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree robbery and two counts of first-degree burglary, police said.

Snyder appeared from his home for the virtual arraignment before Judge Rounds on May 17, police said.

He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was ordered back to jail by Rounds. Snyder returned to jail on May 17 and remains there without bond, authorities said.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Empire Media Group, Inc. Front Page Detectives is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.