A New York man is accused of breaking into his estranged wife’s house and beating her father to death, police say.
Around 8:30 a.m. on Oct. 24, the Erie County District Attorney’s Office says 39-year-old Mohammed Mia broke into the home of his estranged wife in Buffalo, New York, even though she had an order of protection against him.
Once Mia was inside the home, officials said he was trying to kill his estranged wife, as he was slapping, punching and choking her. During the attack, he threatened to kill the victim.
While she was being assaulted, the victim’s parents attempted to intervene and Mia attacked the victim’s father repeatedly. Mia threw the man to the ground, authorities said. He also punched and slapped the victim’s mother.
Mia fled the scene in his vehicle, which is when the victim called 911. When paramedics arrived, the victim’s father was unconscious and he was taken to the hospital with severe head trauma, officials said. The victim and her mother were also taken to the hospital to be treated for cuts and bruises, as well as broken teeth.
- Man accused of fatally stabbing his estranged wife hours before their 8-year-old son’s birthday party
- NYC man charged with murder for allegedly hacking mother with machete to 'point of near-decapitation': Prosecutor
- 69-year-old man found dead after family asked police to check on him, now his son is accused of murder
Later in the day, Mia went to the police station to report he had been attacked by the victims, but instead, he was taken into custody, police said.
At that time, Mia was charged with multiple offenses, including burglary, aggravated criminal contempt, assault and endangering the welfare of a child, police said. He was held on $25,000 bail and scheduled to return on Oct. 29 for a felony hearing.
On Oct. 27, the father, 47-year-old Mohammed Hossain, died from his injuries, authorities said.
The case was presented to a grand jury and they indicted him on seven felony charges and one misdemeanor charge for the attack, officials said.
The charges against Mia are two counts of second-degree murder, three counts of burglary, attempted murder, aggravated criminal contempt and third-degree assault, officials said.
Mia was held without bail and scheduled for a pre-trial conference on Dec. 21. The judge also issued a temporary order of protection on behalf of the victims that will remain in effect for one year, according to authorities.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.