An Ohio couple face manslaughter charges after two of their young children ingested the drug fentanyl and one died, authorities said.
Life-saving measures were unsuccessful and the baby was pronounced dead.
Police said doctors at the hospital also examined and monitored the baby’s ill 3-year-old sibling, who recovered and was turned over to the custody of family members.
A police investigation allegedly revealed the two children got access to fentanyl at the family’s apartment and ingested the potent synthetic opioid that can be fatal in tiny amounts.
According to officials, detectives allegedly found traces of fentanyl and acetyl fentanyl on multiple items in the home, and the children’s parents, Nicholas D. Lee, 25, and Brianna E. Roush, 26, allegedly admitted they used and sold narcotics, including fentanyl and crack cocaine.
Lee and Roush each face charges of involuntary manslaughter, attempted involuntary manslaughter, two counts of child endangering, trafficking in fentanyl, and possession of fentanyl.
“Our department and our personnel are deeply saddened and outraged at the death of an innocent child due to the illegal drugs that plague our community,” Circleville police said in a statement.
“If you have a drug addiction or know someone that does, please reach out for help,” police said, adding, “The senseless deaths in our community due to dangerous drugs needs to stop.”
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.