Murder suspect forced woman to drive 2,000 miles to flee his Oregon killing spree, cops say

Source: Coos County

Jun. 21 2021, Published 1:57 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Terror erupted in a small Oregon community last week that included three people being killed and a massive manhunt for the suspect, who was eventually found thousands of miles away.

Article continues below advertisement

What police haven’t detailed is why Oen Evan Nicholson, 30, went on an alleged killing and kidnapping spree on June 18.

That day police found 83-year-old Charles Simms Nicholson, 83, dead in a trailer near a casino in North Bend, Oregon. Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier said Oen Nicholson is Charles Nicholson’s son.

Article continues below advertisement

Oen Nicholson then took his father’s truck and was involved in a hit-and-run nearby, Frasier said. In that crash, 74-year-old Anthony Oyster was killed and his wife, 73-year-old Linda Oyster

Then, Oen Nicholson is accused of killing 47-year-old Jennifer L. Davidson inside a marijuana dispensary, police say.

Officers have not detailed if there was a link between Nicholson and Davidson.

Article continues below advertisement

Police and county officials then asked for the public’s help finding Nicholson and putting the quiet, coastal community of about 10,000 residents on lockdown.

Article continues below advertisement

“This is something you hope never happens in your town that you call home,” North Bend Mayor Jessica Engelke said at a press conference that was streamed online. “Words fall short of describing the tragedy that took place Friday.”

“We are all left incredibly shaken.”

The pickup truck was found crashed about 100 miles away and set on fire, Frasier said. A witness said the driver got out of the truck with a gun and ran into the woods nearby.

Officers searched the area but could not find Nicholson.

Article continues below advertisement

Then in Springfield, Oregon, near where the truck was crashed, officers took a report after Laura Johnson was reported missing. She left for her lunch break and returned to her job. There, Nicholson forced her to drive north.

The two drove all the way to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where Nicholson turned himself in to police on June 20. Frasier said they don’t know why Nicholson decided to turn himself in. Milwaukee is roughly 2,3000 driving miles from North Bend, Oregon.

Johnson was safe and on the way back to Oregon, police said.

Frasier said Nicholson will be charged with 10 counts, including several murder charges, in connection to the killing spree. He is currently being held in Wisconsin jail and waiting to be returned to Oregon.

There could be additional charges related to the kidnapping of Johnson, Springfield police said.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Empire Media Group, Inc. Front Page Detectives is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.