An elderly man was beaten to death by a group of juveniles as he left a San Francisco train more than a decade ago.
Despite a $100,000 reward, police have yet to make an arrest in the case.
Around 6 p.m., on Jan. 24, 2010, Huan Zhou Chen, 83, had just exited the SFMTA T Line at 3rd Street and was walking to his assisted care facility, according to San Francisco police. A group of juveniles attacked and assaulted the elderly man.
The boys hit Chen on his head, knocking him to the ground, where his head hit the sidewalk.
The juveniles fled the area and left Chen bleeding and disoriented, police said. Chen was taken to the hospital, where he died from his injuries on March 19, 2010.
In 2011, then-department spokesman Eric Chang described the killing as “senseless” to the San Francisco Examiner.
Police tried to renew interest in the case in 2017 and the San Francisco Mayor’s Office offered a $100,000 reward to help bring the attackers to justice. But, so far, officers have yet to arrest any of the suspects.
The victim’s son, David Chen, also released a statement when the reward was announced.
“There isn’t a day that he does not think about his father’s death. He misses him greatly because he used to talk to him on the phone every day,” David Chen said, according to KRON. “He was a great father raising four kids and now he is gone.
“The family is without any information or any way of understanding how this senseless act happened. There are days he is sleepless and the entire family still mourns even after 7 years. They hope that anyone with information will come forward and help the police catch who did this to his father.”
Anyone with information on the attack or the suspects is asked to contact police at (415) 553-1450.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.