A San Jose mother and her two teenage children are accused of murder following a broad daylight shootout that left a 13-year-old boy dead last week.
Margarita Santillan, 38, and her 16-year-old daughter and 17-year-old son each face murder and attempted murder charges after police said a confrontation involving “an exchange of gunfire between the victim’s group and residents at the location” broke out in the 2900 block of Little Wood Lane on Aug. 11 around 3:45 p.m.
Officials said friends brought the wounded 13-year-old male to Regional Medical Center at about 4 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the hospital from apparent gunshot wounds.
San Jose police said a fight between groups of kids broke out in a nearby park.
Police said security footage from a nearby home showed the victim and several other teenage boys pull up to Santillan’s house in a Honda sedan at about 3:45 p.m..
The victim was reportedly seen repeatedly hitting a pickup truck parked in the driveway of Santillan’s home with a baseball bat while a reportedly armed friend stood watch.
Moments later, gunshots were reportedly fired toward the pickup truck from inside the home, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Officials said the victim was struck during the shooting.
According to court documents, Santillan told the police she saw the victim and his friends outside her home and decided to arm herself. She and her son reportedly opened fire. Police reported that they recovered more than 50 bullet casings from the scene.
Santillan was booked into the Elmwood women’s jail in Milpitas on Aug. 12. Information on her children’s charges was available because they are minors.
The Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office has not officially identified the victim.