Source: MEGA

Mar. 12 2021, Updated 2:37 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A woman’s disappearance has captivated England and the case took another turn when the police officer being held in connection to her disappearance was rushed to the hospital.

Article continues below advertisement

Sarah Everard left a friend’s house earlier this month and was reported missing. There have been several high-profile searches.  

Police found remains in one search and on March 12 confirmed they were Everard, accoding to media reports. 

This week a police officer, Wayne Couzens, was detained in connection to the case. On March 11, he was found hurt in his cell, The Sun reported. 

A Scotland Yard spokesperson confirmed to the British newspaper that “the suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment to a head injury sustained while in custody” and “has since been discharged and returned to custody.” 

Article continues below advertisement


Missing Persons

On March 3, Everard left a friend’s home in Clapham, south London, around 9:30 p.m.

A doorbell video camera captured what could be the last images of the 33-year-old marketing executive alive. She was wearing a mask and talking to her boyfriend on a cell phone as she walked alone back to her house. It’s unclear if she ever arrived.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said, “Sarah's disappearance in these awful and wicked circumstances is every family's worst nightmare.”

On March 9, authorities took Couzens — a London Metropolitan Police firearms specialist in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command — into custody on suspicion of murder as well as a separate allegation of indecent exposure.

They also arrested Couzen’s Ukraine-born wife, Elena, 38, “on suspicion of assisting an officer,” Met police said in a statement.

Authorities have not formally charged the couple with any crimes.

Article continues below advertisement

On March 10, Dick announced detectives and search teams investigating Everard’s disappearance “very sadly discovered what we believe at this stage to be human remains” in “an area of woodland” in southeast England’s Ashford, Kent.

Dick said it may take “considerable time” to confirm the identify of the remains.

“I speak on behalf of all my colleagues... when I say we are utterly appalled at this dreadful news. Our job is to patrol the streets and to protect people,” she said, according to CNN. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “shocked and deeply saddened” by the Everard case. 

“We must work fast to find all the answers to this horrifying crime,” he added.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Empire Media Group, Inc. Front Page Detectives is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.