A South Carolina baby boy recently overdosed on fentanyl for the second time and his parents are now under arrest, police said.
On the morning of March 17, Donald Ray Little, Jr., 39, and Mary Ashley Willis, 27, were sleeping at a hotel when the child ingested an unknown amount of an illegal controlled substance, the Columbia Police Department said in a news release obtained by FrontPageDetectives.
“A male and a female brought a child to the front of headquarters that was very unresponsive, shallow breathing,” Lt. CB Williams said, according to the television station WACH.
Emergency crews rushed the boy to the hospital, where he tested positive for fentanyl. He celebrated turning 1 year old the next day while still hospitalized.
“The child is doing great,” Williams told WACH, noting that a group of construction workers who witnessed what happened gave officers and victim advocates birthday presents for the baby.
“He was nothing but smiles and giggling and happy,” Williams said. “It was very heartwarming to see the child was alright.”
Little and Willis are charged with unlawful neglect of a child. Little is also accused of possession of a controlled substance and possession of ammunition by a convicted violent felon, according to Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center online records.
The baby is now in the emergency protective custody of the South Carolina Department of Social Services.
“I mean, that’s a dangerous situation. All medication, no matter what it is, should be kept secured, up on high shelves and should not be in the reach of any children, and, of course, you shouldn’t be using illegal drugs,” Williams said.