Police Chief Stanley McFadden said at a news conference that around 2 a.m. on Oct. 15, officers in Stockton acting on tips stopped the vehicle of Wesley Brownlee, 43,as he drove around the city armed with a semi-automatic handgun, NPR reported.
Many of the shootings were caught on camera and allegedly showed the suspected killer wearing black during the crimes.
As FrontPageDetectives previously reported, the ambushed victims of varying races and ages were shot late at night or in the early morning while walking or out alone between July 8 and Sept. 27, police said.
McFadden said before the arrest, officers watching Brownlee’s patterns noted he was driving and stopping in dark areas that included parks and then would move on, according to NPR.
When officers stopped Brownlee, the police chief said the suspect had a mask around his neck and wore black clothing as he “was out hunting” in the same area where five men have been shot and killed since July. “We are sure we stopped another killing.”
The men murdered in Stockton include Paul Yaw, 35, who was fatally shot on July 8; Salvador Debudey Jr., 43, who died Aug. 11; Jonathan Hernandez Rodriguez, 21, who was killed Aug. 30; Juan Cruz, 52, who was murdered Sept. 21; and Lawrence Lopez Sr., 54, who died six days later.
Two other victims may be connected with the case, police said. Natasha LaTour, 46, was shot on April 16, 2021, but survived her injuries, while Juan Vasquez Serrano, 39, was killed in Oakland on April 10, 2021.
Police have not identified a motive in the case.
The investigation is ongoing.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.