A Taco Bell shift manager in Tennessee took the restaurant’s “Live más” slogan a bit too far and found herself in hot water for starting her workplace on fire.
On July 12, investigators charged Courtney Mayes, 25, with felony aggravated arson in connection with the blaze that was sparked a week earlier in the Nashville-area restaurant when employees put fireworks inside a garbage can.
“Management reported surveillance footage captured employees causing the fire inside the restaurant while playing with fireworks,” the Nashville Fire Department said. “The employees can be seen locking the doors to the dining room to keep customers from entering the business.”
- ‘Few Fries Short Of A Happy Meal’: Pregnant Woman Throws ‘Tantrum’ At McDonald’s Over Delayed Food, Sheriff Says
- Talk about an unhappy meal: Memphis police seek suspect who opened fire at drive-thru
- Not-So-Happy Meal: Wisconsin Woman Threatened to ‘Shoot Up’ McDonald’s After She Was Served Burnt French Fries, Cops Say
According to the fire department, “Employees are seen using their cell phone cameras to record the trash can from the outside of the restaurant.”
The only problem? The workers accidentally locked themselves out of the restaurant.
“The employees tried unsuccessfully to get back into the store,” the fire department said. “When the employees saw the trash can start to smoke, they called 911 for help.”
The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the Taco Bell.
Mayes was booked into the Davidson County jail on $5,000 bond.
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.