The victim’s parents transported him to a nearby hospital with life-threatening injuries, but police said the 16-year-old male is now in stable condition.
While officers were at the scene, the victim told them there may have been two additional victims who had been shot, WNCN-TV reported.
First responders deployed a drone for several hours and sent out a cadaver dog to search the area for these additional victims and eventually found them, officials said.
Around 8:00 a.m. on March 22, two 16-year-old boys, later identified as Angel Caneles Quintana and Osmar Burgos Banegas, were found and medical personnel pronounced both victims dead at the scene, according to WNCN-TV.
Later in the day on March 22, the Durham Police Department arrested Jorge Raul Benitez-Mendoza in connection to the shootings, officials said.
He was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted first-degree murder, according to authorities. He was booked into the Durham County Detention Facility without bond.
Never miss a story — sign up for the Front Page Detectives newsletter. Be on the scene the moment news breaks.
Investigators said the shootings did not appear to be random, but the relationship between Mendoza, Quintana and Banegas remains unknown. The family of Quintana talked with WNCN-TV and said the three teens were all friends.
Benitex-Mendoza’s sister, Carolina, talked with WNTN-TV and said “her sibling has had a history of acting up as a child, but she doesn’t believe he’s the person who committed the crime.”
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.