Front Page Detectives

In 1986, A 12-year-old Girl Was Raped And Murdered. It Took More Than 35 Years For Her Family To Get Justice.

Source: Unsplash; Tacoma police

Apr. 12 2022, Published 9:11 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

In 1986, a 12-year-old girl ran home to grab sandwiches for lunch. Her sisters could not find her a few minutes later. A search unfolded and found the girl dead. Raped and murdered.

It took more than 35 years, but the child’s family now has justice as the killer will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Article continues below advertisement

Recently, a judge in Washington sentenced Gary Hartman to 26-and-a-half years in prison for the killing of Michella Welch in 1986. It wasn’t until 2018, where DNA testing confirmed Hartman was the killer that he was arrested in the cold case.

On March 26, 1986, Welch was with her sisters to play in a park in the Tacoma, Washington, area, according to the Tacoma News Tribune. She ran home to grab sandwiches for lunch and her sisters left the park to find a restroom.

Article continues below advertisement

The sisters returned but could not find Welsch. They saw her bike and lunches, though. They called a babysitter, who alerted the authorities.

Police suspected Welch returned to the park and looked for her sisters. Witnesses said they saw her talking to a man pointing down a trail. Later that same night, search teams found Welch’s body near a makeshift fire pit.

Article continues below advertisement

She was raped and killed by a cut to the neck and blunt force trauma to the head, according to the News Tribune.

Hartman was found guilty during a bench trial and then sentenced to what likely amounts to a life term, according to KOMO News. Hartman cried as he spoke during his sentencing and apologized to Welch’s family.

Article continues below advertisement

"I’m so sorry. God knows I’m so sorry. That doesn’t help. I’m just sorry,” he said, according to KOMO News.

Welch’s family did not buy his apologies, though they said the conviction helped bring some relief.

“I say ‘lock him up and throw away the key,’” said Barbara Leonard, the girl's mother, KOMO News reported. “And now he will pay the price, however it will not bring her back, but justice will have been served. I just pray that he can find repentance and forgiveness with God.”


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.