2 Teens Open Fire At San Diego Mosque, Killing 3 Men, Before Killing Themselves— Security Guard Among Those Killed

Teenage gunmen kill 3 in San Diego mosque shooting
Two teenagers opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego, killing three men before the suspects later died from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds a few blocks away, authorities said. Investigators are treating the attack as a possible hate crime.
Scott Wahl said in a statement that students who were inside the mosque at the time of the shooting were safely evacuated and unharmed.
Teenage Gunmen Open Fire At Islamic Center of San Diego
Teenage gunmen engaged in 'generalized hate rhetoric'
The attack occurred on May 18, 2026. Authorities said there had been no prior threats directed at the Islamic Center of San Diego. However, investigators later uncovered evidence allegedly linking the teenage suspects to what police described as “generalized hate rhetoric.”
In a statement, Scott Wahl said, “There was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved.” Authorities also revealed that before the shooting, a concerned mother contacted police to report that her teenage son was suicidal and had run away from home.
Police said the teenager was a student at Madison High School, located about a mile from the mosque. Investigators said he allegedly left behind a note, though authorities have not disclosed its contents publicly. The mother contacted police after discovering that several firearms and her vehicle were missing from the home.
The search for the missing teen intensified after officers learned he was dressed in camouflage and may have been accompanied by another teenager. Authorities said investigators used available technology, including automated license plate readers, in an attempt to locate the suspects.
When officers were searching for the teenagers, a report about gunfire at the Islamic Center came in. Officers arrived at a scene of pure chaos. They found three victims at the mosque. Among those killed was a security guard, who played a key role in ensuring the safety of others.
Wahl said in the press conference, “It’s fair to say his actions were heroic. Undoubtedly, he saved lives today.” A friend has identified the victim as Amin Abdullah. “He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard,” he said.
Teenager Found Dead Inside Car After Killing Three Men In Open Fire
Suspects killed themselves after open firing at Islamic Center
There were also reports of another shooting a few blocks away. A landscaper was reportedly shot at but was not injured. Police also found the car in the middle of the road there. Two suspects, 17 and 18, were found dead inside the car from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The Islamic Center’s Al Rashid School offered various courses, and at the time of the shooting, there were several students. In a statement, Wahl said, “All of the kids are safe. Our hearts go out to the families that are in this moment being notified of what has happened to their loved ones.”
The mosque’s director, Imam Taha Hassane, strongly condemned the attack. He called it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship.” In a statement he said, ““All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected.”
Become a Front Page Detective
Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.
