Front Page Detectives
or
Sign in with lockrMail
BREAKING NEWS

Charges Dropped in Minneapolis ICE Shooting After Stunning Admission From Prosecutors

ICE officers on duty.
Source: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement/Instagram

ICE Director Todd Lyons said that the two officers on the case may be fired and potentially face criminal prosecution.

Feb. 16 2026, Published 6:30 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

Federal prosecutors in Minneapolis, Minn. dropped felony assault charges against two Venezuelan men. Fresh video evidence emerged contradicting the government’s version of events. However, details from the new evidence were not made public.

Article continues below advertisement

On January 15, 2026, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) released details saying “criminal illegal aliens violently assaulted law enforcement with a shovel and broom handle in an attempt to evade arrest and obstruct law enforcement on January 14, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minn."

On February 12, the US attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota said newly discovered evidence in the criminal case against Alfredo Alejandro Aljorna and Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis is materially inconsistent with the allegations against them. Those allegations were made in a criminal complaint and a court hearing earlier in January, according to The Guardian.

The case was dismissed with prejudice. The charges against the men cannot be resubmitted.

The Events From January 14

A news release from the Department of Homeland Security said that that at 6:50 p.m. CT on January 14, 2025, federal law enforcement officers were conducting a targeted traffic stop in Minneapolis, Minn., for Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis.

“Attempting to evade arrest, Sosa-Celis fled the scene in his vehicle, crashed into a parked car, and proceeded to flee on foot,” the release said.

"The law enforcement officer pursued Sosa-Celis also on foot, caught up to him. He attempted to apprehend him when Sosa-Celis began to resist and violently assault the officer."

“While Sosa-Celis and law enforcement were in a struggle on the ground, two subjects came out of a nearby apartment and attacked the law enforcement officer with a snow shovel and broom handle,” officials said.

MORE ON:
Minnesota
Article continues below advertisement

As the officer was being ambushed and attacked by by the two individuals, Sosa-Celis got loose and began striking the officer with a shovel or broom stick. The two individuals were working as DoorDash delivery drivers."

Fearing for his life and safety as he was being ambushed by three individuals, the officer fired a defensive shot. Sosa-Celis was hit in the leg. All three subjects ran back into the apartment and barricaded themselves inside. “ICE successfully arrested all three illegal aliens,” the statement said.

According to a video call obtained by CNN, Sosa-Celis’ partner said, “Julio arrived first. They were chasing Alfredo – he had to jump from his car. He ran and they threw themselves on top of him. After, Julio threw open the door and they shot.”

Inconsistent Evidence

In a court hearing on January 21, the ICE officer’s testimony describing the events was different from the defendants and the witnesses.

There was insufficient evidence showing the officer being attacked with a broom or snow shovel.

Aljorna’s attorney Frederick Goetz, said his client had a broomstick in his hand. He had thrown it at the agent as he ran toward the house. Sosa-Celis’ attorney, Robin Wolpert, said he had been holding a shovel but was retreating into the home when the officer fired.

Wolpert said she is “glad to see that ICE and the Department of Justice (DOJ) are publicly acknowledging and investigating untruthful statements by the two ICE officers”.

Both Aljorna and Soa-Celis had no criminal record.

ICE Director Todd Lyons said in a statement that the two officers may be fired. They could also face criminal prosecution.

Advertisement

Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2026 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.