Front Page Detectives
or
Sign in with lockrMail
BREAKING NEWS

FBI Refuses Cooperation In Alex Pretti Death Investigation, Minnesota Officials Say

A photo of some of the items left at the site of Alex Pretti's death.
Source: Wikimedia.

Federal agents shot and killed Pretti in south Minneapolis on January 24.

Feb. 17 2026, Published 7:32 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

After Alex Jeffrey Pretti was killed last month, officials in Minnesota said the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has denied cooperation in the investigation of his death.

On January 24, 2026, the 37-year-old American intensive care nurse for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs was shot multiple times and killed by two U.S Customs and Border Protection officers in Minneapolis, Minn.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) accused the FBI of failing to surrender evidence from its investigation into the killing, blocking state investigators from reviewing information tied to the case.

BCA superintendent Drew Evans called the FBI’s actions “concerning and unprecedented”, according to BBC News.

Article continues below advertisement
Source: X

Alex Pretti was shot and killed by border patrol agents while he was unarmed on January 24, 2026.

BCA, Pretti’s Family Request A Joint Investigation

The bureau requested a joint investigation with federal officials. “The BCA is committed to thorough, independent and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence," the bureau said.

The victim’s family earlier said that “justice” and “accountability” require a thorough and impartial investigation to establish the facts. “A truly joint state and federal investigation would be a welcome development,” Pretti's family said.

Article continues below advertisement

Ongoing BCA Investigations

Meanwhile, the bureau is also running an active investigation into the killings of Renee Good by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents on January 7, and the shooting of Venezuelan national Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis on January 14.

Sosa-Celis’ attorney Robin Wolpert said he was retreating into a home when an officer fired at him.

Good, a 37-year-old U.S. citizen, was killed when an ICE agent shot into her vehicle during an encounter.

“It remains unclear if there will be any co-operation or sharing of information related to those two shootings,” the BCA said.

MORE ON:
Police Shooting
Source: X

Governor Tim Walz said Minnesota needs to be reopened for business.

Article continues below advertisement

Operation Metro Surge

ICE has intensified enforcement against undocumented immigrants in Minnesota since December 2025 as part of Operation Metro Surge.

Operation Metro Surge is an ongoing effort by ICE and the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) with the purpose of apprehending undocumented immigrants and deporting them.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said his state needs impartial investigations into the shootings of American citizens. “Trump’s left hand cannot investigate his right hand. The families of the deceased deserve better,” he wrote on X.

Source: X

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said Minnesotans are some of the "toughest people".

He added that small business owners represent the American Dream. The “fear” and “uncertainty” caused by Metro Surge has been a crushing blow to business.

Walz said, “To all the Minnesotans who are making their voices heard and protesting peacefully: The world is watching, and when change comes, it will be because of you.”

One of Donald Trump’s key promises during his 2024 presidential campaign was a crackdown on illegal immigration and to commence mass-deportation operations. After his inauguration, he signed multiple executive orders related to immigration in the United States, and the Department of Homeland Security and ICE agents began raids across the country.

Advertisement

Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2026 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.