A Baby Was Shaken To Death. But, Her Dad Tried To Claim She Had A Seizure And Didn't Need Immediate Medical Attention.

kansas baby
Source: MEGA; Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office

Jul. 4 2022, Published 2:18 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

A 4-month-old child was shaken to death. Now, a man responsible for her care will spend decades behind bars.

Article continues below advertisement

Last month, a judge in Kansas sentenced Andrew Wayne Franklin, 36, to 21 years in prison for the death of his 4-month-old daughter, Brexley Grace Franklin. She died in September 2018.

Franklin previously pleaded no contest to second-degree reckless murder and child abuse.

An investigation showed that the girl died from blunt-force trauma, according to KAKE.

Article continues below advertisement

Police in Haysville, Kansas, were called to a home on Sept 8, 2018, to help EMS with a child having a seizure, according to KAKE. The girl was taken to the hospital, where medical staff found internal injuries.

Brexley died about five days after being taken to the hospital.

Franklin told police his daughter had a seizure, but EMS suspected a shaken baby incident, according to KWCH.

Article continues below advertisement

Authorities noticed the home smelled strongly of feces, and a 12-year-old boy and the baby’s mom were also in the residence, according to KWCH. The child told police he came out of his room around 10 a.m. and saw the baby in a swing and acting normal.


He played video games with a friend for a couple of hours and then said Franklin came in upset, saying the baby was not acting normal, according to the report.

The boy said he saw the baby on her back and her eyes barely open, according to the report.

Article continues below advertisement

Franklin told police he had a couple of beers the night before and woke up around 7 am. Because the baby was crying, KWCH reported. The dad took the baby from a crib and tried to give her a bottle before putting her in a swing.

Franklin claimed he picked the girl up to change her and then put her on a futon. He went to get a diaper, and when he returned, the baby’s eye rolled back, the report noted.

Article continues below advertisement

Police said Franklin didn’t immediately call 911. He tried to justify it by saying his son previously had seizures and anything less than 15 minutes didn’t need medical attention, according to KWCH.

But medical staff determined the injuries were the result of non-accidental trauma. The child had a skull fracture among other injuries that were consistent with shaking.


Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Empire Media Group, Inc. Front Page Detectives is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.