Front Page Detectives
or
Sign in with lockrMail
BREAKING NEWS

Two Mexican Nationals Get 5 Years in Federal Prison for Drug Trafficking, Immigration Offenses

The Department of Justice
Source: MEGA

A large banner featuring U.S. President Donald Trump is displayed on the exterior of the United States Department of Justice headquarters.

May 20 2026, Published 6:06 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

Two Mexican nationals were sentenced in the U.S. District Court on May 19 after being convicted on federal drug trafficking and immigration charges.

According to authorities, 42-year-old Cristian Melendez and 39-year-old Ismerio Garcia-Ontivaro were transporting more than three kilograms of cocaine hidden inside a concealed compartment of a Honda Accord when they were stopped on Interstate 70 in June 2025 for a window tint violation.

Article continues below advertisement

Investigators said the pair had received the vehicle from a car hauler traveling from Arizona to Columbus. Officials later discovered a hidden compartment extending from the center console to the rear seats of the car.

Melendez and Garcia-Ontivaro were each sentenced to 60 months in federal prison.

Both Suspects Had Prior Convictions

MORE ON:
Drugs

Federal prosecutors charged both men with conspiracy to possess and possession with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of cocaine, as well as illegally reentering the United States after being convicted of aggravated felonies. The indictment was returned on July 15, 2025.

“Both defendants previously were convicted of drug trafficking and subsequently deported from the United States, only to illegally return and continue to traffic dangerous drugs into our communities,” U.S. Attorney Dominick S. Gerace II said. “This Office will continue to aggressively prosecute such repeat offenders and seek strong sentences to hold them to account.”

Authorities said both men had previously been removed from the United States and later reentered the country illegally.

Article continues below advertisement
Source: Instagram/thejusticedept

The Department of Justice said that this case is part of Operation Take Back America.

Melendez had prior convictions related to heroin trafficking and illegal firearm possession. Garcia-Ontivaro previously faced cocaine trafficking charges in North Carolina.

“This case is part of Operation Take Back America, a nationwide initiative that marshals the full resources of the Department of Justice to repel the invasion of illegal immigration, achieve the total elimination of cartels and transnational criminal organizations (TCOs), and protect our communities from the perpetrators of violent crime,” a Department of Justice press release said.

Advertisement

Become a Front Page Detective

Sign up to receive breaking
Front Page Detectives
news and exclusive investigations.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2026 FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. FRONT PAGE DETECTIVES is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.